Deputy Chief - Operations
Sorry this posting has closed. We will let you know when we have other amazing opportunities to join the Tubac Fire Family.
INVITING APPLICATIONS FOR
DEPUTY CHIEF - OPERATIONS
Application Deadline: November 16, 2018
Testing Dates: TBA
Tubac Fire District is excited to offer qualified fire officers the opportunity to apply for the position of Deputy Chief. The role of the Deputy Chief is to assist in planning, directing, and reviewing the activities and operations of the Fire District including fire suppression, emergency medical services, training, fire prevention, life safety code compliance, public safety education and administrative support. As part of the management team, the Deputy Chief provides project management and highly responsible and complex executive-level support to the Fire Chief. The Deputy Chief position works a standard 40-hour administrative work week. TFD seeks individuals who are able to lead from the front and set the example for their crews in such a way that reflects the TFD Mission, Vision, and Values.
Located in southeastern Arizona in Santa Cruz County, including parts of the towns of Tubac, Tumacacori, Amado and Rio Rico, the Tubac Fire District serves 10,000 residents in a 166 square mile area. The TFD has a blend of commercial and retail areas, including more than 100 eclectic shops, eateries, and world class galleries, all of which are intermixed with a variety of beautiful residential neighborhoods. Located just forty-five minutes south of the Tucson city limits, the area enjoys one of the sunniest and most comfortable climates in the country, with great weather all year round. A benefit of these moderate temperatures is that residents can enjoy the beautiful outdoors year around. Golfing, biking, hiking, birdwatching, and other outdoor activities are readily available to residents. Popular attractions in the vicinity include the Historic Presidio State Park, numerous festivals, craft fairs and social events.
Established in 1974 and operating out of four fire stations, the Tubac Fire District provides fire and emergency medical services, which include fire suppression, emergency medical response, rescue, fire prevention, public education and a host of non-emergency services such as venomous creature removal.
Currently deploying normal daily operational staffing of 8 personnel, the District responds to approximately 1600 calls per year. TFD provides service with a Type I engine, an ALS/BLS ambulance, one water tender, and one Type 6 brush truck operating out of each fire station. The District administrative office is located at 2227 E. Frontage Road; this location is also home to TFD Station 1. Station 2 is located at 1360 W. Frontage Road in Rio Rico; Station 3 at 333 Camino Josefina in Rio Rico; and Station 4 at 149 Ruta Camaron in Rio Rico.
With a budget of $3.5M, the District is primarily financed by property taxes assessed within the District, as well as by ambulance transport revenues and wildland contract revenues. The District has always had a philosophy of meeting the emergency response needs of the community by providing high quality and cost effective service. This has been accomplished while maintaining one of the lowest tax rates in the State of Arizona for comparable size fire districts
$70,000 to $81,000
The TFD offers a full benefit package including 10 paid holidays, paid vacation and sick leave, medical/dental/ vision insurance, uniform allowance, short and long-term disability, life insurance, AD&D insurance, and PSPRS retirement.
· Five (5) years experience as a full-time Fire Captain
· Associate’s Degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in fire science, public administration or other course work directly related to the core functions of this position.
· Applicants not currently holding a Bachelor’s Degree or higher must be able to provide proof of completed coursework that will allow for completion of Bachelor’s degree within two (2) years of hire date as a condition of employment.
· Current Blue Card Certification or ability to obtain within six (6) months of hire.
· Current Arizona or National Registry certification as an Emergency Medical Technician or Paramedic
· Valid Arizona Driver’s License or ability to obtain prior to employment
· Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in Fire Science, Public Administration or other course work directly related to the core functions of the position (Note: Any candidate who does not possess a Bachelor’s Degree at the time of appointment will be required to obtain the degree within two years of the date of appointment)
· Previous experience at the rank of Battalion Chief
· CPSE Fire Officer or Chief Fire Officer designation
· A comprehensive assessment center will be held in December. Date to be determined.
Interested applicants must submit the following:
- Cover Letter
- Current Resume
- Responses to the supplemental questionnaire
- Completed TFD Employment Application
- Proof of all other minimum requirements
Application materials must be submitted to:
Fire Chief Cheryl Horvath
Tubac Fire District
PO Box 2881
Tubac, AZ 85646-2881
Completed application packets must be received no later than 1700 hours on November 16, 2018. Following the closing date, all application packets will be reviewed and evaluated based upon the qualifications and criteria outlined in this information packet. Those candidates that the District determines to be best qualified will be invited to participate in a two-day assessment center to be held in Tubac. Candidates will be responsible for their own travel expenses associated with the assessment and selection process.
The successful candidate shall be subject to a pre-employment physical examination, drug screen, fingerprinting, professional and personal reference checks, and criminal and motor vehicle background reviews.